Friday, March 7, 2008

Making a Fool of Myself for My Kids

I have been reading a lot about our supermarket produce and where they buy it from. Our produce is rarely from a local grower. Farmers markets are great but often too expensive for our little middle class family. Plus the best produce is out in the early morning and there is no way that I will ever make it in time! So... while I was shopping at the grocery store a couple of days ago, I ran into my produce guy. (Almost literally). I decided that it was my chance to ask him to start buying fruits and vegtables locally. It should have been a natural statement but as he looked back at me with a "she's a little crazy" smile, I started pinking and fumbling over my words while trying to explain myself. I finally found my words and clumsily said the following things... I think.

1) I would like to know where my food comes from and support local organic growers.
2) I would like to know that the people that grow and pick my food are paid fairly and treatly like human beings.
3) We have more rules and regulations in the US regarding how many pesticides we can use on our produce. (We still use too much).
4) Buying locally reduces pollution. Imagine how much fuel it takes to get the blueberries here from Chile?

I am aware that there are more intelligent reasons why grocery stores should buy locally but put on the spot (I guess that I did it to myself), this is all I could come up with. I am pretty sure that I didn't make much sense. Maybe I made a fool of myself. I can pretty much guarantee that the next time I am in there he will be thinking, "There is that ridiculous woman who told me to buy locally. She crazy." But maybe other people will start asking the same questions (and hopefully making more sense) and maybe they will start buying things locally. Who knows. If it means that I can feed my kiddos more produce that I feel good about, it was worth a little embarrassment.

2 comments:

Jodie Howerton said...

Oooo, you need to join the Root Connection farm in woodinville...it's organic, picked in the same of the day you pick it up and OH SO TASTY.....

You get a LOT for the money. You can freeze it for the winter if you can't eat it all....

rootconnection.org

marisabutterworth said...

I do. How much is it to split a share? Or whatever it's called...