Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Baby Food


As a mom, I am trying to help my kids experience the wonderful world of yummy, good for you foods. I have also been known to get my oldest son fast food and he did have a cupcake before lunch today - but I am doing the best that I can. But I love the idea of doing something new and fun with my baby's food.

I decided to start making my second son Finn's baby food myself and have been more than happy with the results. It is WAY cheaper than I imagined and REALLY easy. I can also make it organic and know exactly what I am putting in there. He also has more of a variety than he would if I only bought what they stock on the grocery store shelves. I did worry that I would never get around to doing it but the savings are a huge motivation. (Two sweet potatoes = 48 cubes of baby food = 24 servings).

I just found out about a Seattle based company that is doing something really cool in the baby food world. They are called "Dr. Susanna's World Baby Food" and they have the greatest ideas for all organic baby food combos.

Here are a couple of flavor combos that sounded good to me:

  • Baby Borscht - Quintessential eastern European cuisine - the best way to enjoy beets, carrots, potatoes, spinach, and a touch of dill.
  • Lullaby Thai - A ginger and cardamom delight - with bananas, pears and jasmine rice - and a dash of tumeric.
  • Tokyo Tum Tum - Hey - We love edemame! Wouldn't any baby? Here's a mix of Japanese flavors including bok choy, brown rice, edemame, apple and a hint of wasabe!
The price is a little bit steep at about $23 for 12 jars (online) plus shipping but it seems like a great addition to little Finn's day. You can also buy it at many stores so if you are interested, look online to check out locations near you.

Visit their website at World Baby Foods. I will let my three readers know when we have tried it and if little Finn likes it!

2 comments:

This Mama said...

wow...i might have to check that out. our babies will have such refined taste...maybe more than mine!

marisabutterworth said...

Seriously. Let me know if you try it out on Sophia.