Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep deprivation or crazy... maybe both...


I took the boys to Target today to buy a few things we need before we leave for Hawaii on Saturday. I made a list of the items I needed at home because I always forget what I need and get distracted by all the shiny mom toys. I left my list at home. I should have known that things wouldn't go well at that point.

We made it to Target successfully and I think that I stayed on track while shopping avoiding the clothing and housewares all together. Finn started to get grouchy within the first 10 minutes but I couldn't hold him because our cart was of course defective and I needed two hands to push it. Being the careful mom that I am I checked out one of our items and decided to give him the travel size laundry detergent from the cart. Brilliant I know but that appeased him for 10 more minutes. I thought about buying him a new little toy but I have been telling Liam that he doesn't get a new toy every time we go to Target. Therefore Finn should not get one either... great...

I thought that I had everything that I needed and made a run for the cashier as Finn was starting to lose it again. I unloaded all of my junk and realized that I forgot the camera battery and video tape! Here is where you might worry a little about me (if the detergent as a toy didn't phase you...)

With one customer in front of me and one behind me I flipped a cart u-ey and made a run for the camera department about 30 aisles down. Two aisles into my run I realized that all of my crap is still up with the cashier! I do another crazy u-ey, Liam says, "Whoa Mama! Slow down! I'm gonna hit my head!" I race back to the cashier who is looking at me like I am completely insane. Finn starts balling. I try to cover up my mistake by saying, "Oh man! I thought that I could make it but it is too far down. I will have to come back for it." (I never told her what "it" was). She slowly nodded her head, looked at Finn crying and Liam talking incessantly and she then seemed to realize what was going on. She gave Finn and Liam (empty) gift cards to chew on and look at and Finn stopped crying right away. I paid and went outside. I stopped sweating as we walked out into the often elusive NW sun. We made it home without incident. I will be visiting Target by myself for the stuff that I missed.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh man! Great visual of your u-turns. Thanks for the giggle. Hope the next Target trip is totally unadventful! xoxo

And have fun in Hawaii!

Angel said...

That's awesome! I would have loved to seen the look on the cashier's face! What island are you going to? Have fun and get lots of sun :)

marisabutterworth said...

We are going to Kauai! I can't wait!

Amy L Cheng said...

Well...I almost hate to say it, but that was actually refreshing to hear that your Target trips are crazy too. I usually have to give myself a major pep talk beforehand (and sometimes the pep talk doesn't work and I chicken out). I also continue to reassure myself while I'm in the store...which brings me lots of strange looks. I hope you've recovered...but thanks for the entertaining story. :)

Sadie said...

I must say I along with many other Mom's are all heaving a sigh of relief upon reading this...I SO know the instant sweating, too funny, thanks for the giggle and reassurance were ALL there! And, you may be wondering who this is, I'm Levi & Greyson's Momma from OCC. (It's ok if your still wondering, we've only chatted a few times here and there :)) I stumbled upon your blog through Neely's after AWAKE...which was awesome, thanks for the amazing worship. :)
Take care & have a blast in Hawaii!!

Sadie