Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Truth Behind Chocolate

Among other things, I am a chocolate lover. I just came across an article about the trafficking of children into the chocolate business. An estimated 12,000 children have been trafficked into Cote d’Ivoire to work on small cocoa farms. Nearly half of the world’s chocolate comes from Cote d’Ivoire. That's 12,000 children making our cheap-o chocolate!! This really rocks me. So what can we do as consumers of chocolate (some of us more than others).

After a little research, I found out that fair trade chocolate is also traffik free chocolate. I will be really careful where I buy chocolate from now on. Check out the Good Chocolate Guide to find out where you can buy Fair Trade Chocolate locally. Trader Joes brand is fair trade certified and Whole Foods carries fair trade chocolate as well. Help me by spreading the word about chocolate! Just another step in putting traffickers out of business...

3 comments:

This Mama said...

I don't think I ever would've known this if not for your post. I'll spread the word.

Jesse Butterworth said...

Wow, that's news to me.
I'm so proud of you for helping to spread the word in order to help and protect the innocent!

Jodie Howerton said...

sounds like "Fair Trade" products should be a staple in everyone's home...I had no idea the Fair Trade label included issues like human trafficking/ slavery....